cluthe/lee songlist

  • presently falling, setting sun, open, here we are, the wrong time, sundown, circle, hopefully hoping, midnight, the color burns, count down, predicament, man of the mountain, a harmless song, silver lining, sneaking suspicion, pulse race, faster than you know, we will remain, brace yourself, unanswered, roll my tongue, all i see, let the music play, run alone, pieces apart, echo, betting man, black horse, dear dad, new to me, oh my darling, reels fly by, blue, go home, stay, insideout, open ended, a cold enveloping, deeper, grown, best half, in a corner, drift on, misconception, not listening, life can go, defrost mode, april day, tick tock, sideways, suspended in motion, swifter change, fade, abbreviated, simple, hands now clean, hoping for a miracle, on a wire, hands, stagnant in park, say say, hold, exact sense, beautiful, coming through, his voice, drop of rain, elevator music, brings me warmth, walking dead, london dream, red lights, never tell, it's time, walk on stilts, out the door, exact sense, breakout, i'll crawl, said and done, your shore, state of flux, hold me down, hard to swallow, once more, time to rest, familiar walls, it spins, gaze up, life anew, done, eyes open, shaky situation, black burned truth, special, everything/anything, fault line, chaos ensues, birds, dear woman, phone call, one day, crying shame, she, fragile ones, unfolding, in my time, crooked building, red clouds, the ghost, give yourself away, first light, snapshot, take flight, open heart beating

1.29.2010

Oh, My Darling why so Blue?

Hello everybody!

Chris writing from cold/snowy Columbia, MO to let you know that Matt and I have finished 4 brand new songs and I am posting/writing about two of them.

"Blue"

A song with Matt stepping away from his acoustic to play his Fender Strat on this song. Our guitars are really in sync on this song and I find it to be a different approach than our usual formula. Blue is a song that has a very tender vibe to it, but somehow the lyrics have an incredible sense of hope ("everyone's criticisms seem to roll away"). The solo I played has a very anti-solo feel to it. No face melting here as Matt would tell me. This song also brings a more organic percussion section with live snare/hi-hat and tambourine. I think you'll be hearing more live percussion on this next batch of 2-4 songs and in future songs to come.

Matt: Fender Strat (rhythm), Fender J-Bass, Lyrics/Vocals
Chris: Lead Guitars and Drums/Percussion

"Oh, My Darling"

My second favorite song Matt and I have done. I initially recorded some pretty shite backing vocals for the song and after sending them along had a moment of panic. I told Matt not to use them because I thought they sucked! He ended up coming back to me with encouragement to try again. Backing vocals aren't standard in most our songs to this point. Matt gave me a nice pep talk about the differences in our voices which got me thinking about why I like our collaboration so much. We push each other into sometimes uncomfortable spaces musically/creatively and I really think this song is a solid example of that and how differences and discomfort can create AMAZING art. I feel like Oh, My Darling is an unabashed love song and more direct than other Cluthe compositions that I've interpreted. Matt really put himself out there on this song and I told him the other day its a song I could listen to every day for the rest of my life.

Matt: Takemine Acoustic Guitar, Fender Strat, Fender J-Bass, Vocals/Lyrics
Chris: Lead Guitar, Keys (Organ), Drums/Percussion, Backing Vocals


Matt will be posting the second 2 songs from this batch of January sessions. Stay tuned and go check out these new songs on www.reverbnation.com/presentlyfalling and www.myspace.com/presentlyfalling

Chris-

No comments:

Post a Comment