cluthe/lee songlist

  • presently falling, setting sun, open, here we are, the wrong time, sundown, circle, hopefully hoping, midnight, the color burns, count down, predicament, man of the mountain, a harmless song, silver lining, sneaking suspicion, pulse race, faster than you know, we will remain, brace yourself, unanswered, roll my tongue, all i see, let the music play, run alone, pieces apart, echo, betting man, black horse, dear dad, new to me, oh my darling, reels fly by, blue, go home, stay, insideout, open ended, a cold enveloping, deeper, grown, best half, in a corner, drift on, misconception, not listening, life can go, defrost mode, april day, tick tock, sideways, suspended in motion, swifter change, fade, abbreviated, simple, hands now clean, hoping for a miracle, on a wire, hands, stagnant in park, say say, hold, exact sense, beautiful, coming through, his voice, drop of rain, elevator music, brings me warmth, walking dead, london dream, red lights, never tell, it's time, walk on stilts, out the door, exact sense, breakout, i'll crawl, said and done, your shore, state of flux, hold me down, hard to swallow, once more, time to rest, familiar walls, it spins, gaze up, life anew, done, eyes open, shaky situation, black burned truth, special, everything/anything, fault line, chaos ensues, birds, dear woman, phone call, one day, crying shame, she, fragile ones, unfolding, in my time, crooked building, red clouds, the ghost, give yourself away, first light, snapshot, take flight, open heart beating

3.01.2010

Not Listening/Don't Question

"Not Listening"

Matt Cluthe: Lyrics/Vocals/Reverse Vocal Effects, Rhythm Fender Electric Guitar, Fender J Bass
Chris Lee: Drum Kit, Lead/Rhythm Epiphone Les Paul

If I were a wilderness photographer, and this song were a bird, it would be a strange bird rarely seen or captured by lens. One that I’d wait a lifetime to capture/hear. I put on my headphones early last month (February) and when I pressed play on this demo, I was met by a flood of sound and something that sounded like a record being played backwards. I thought to myself, what, or even who is it?! Many of Matt’s songs up until here lately have had this straight ahead feel to them, but this…. strange bird…was the sound of Matt heading in a new direction musically. He tells me my influence may be the culprit, but whoever is to blame I have to say that this is one of the coolest songs we’ve worked on together. My initial reaction was to play a bunch of spacey leads, to match the almost ‘alien’ sound I was hearing. I kept thinking this might be what madness sounds like (“voices in your head..”). The early cuts were almost too overwhelmed with sound and so I scaled back a few times before getting it ‘right.’ I think it’s one of the more concentrated set of notes I’ve played and there’s something refreshing about that IMO. The drums were also a challenge and matching the stops and starts was an exercise in patience, that I know in the end will shine through when you listen to this. Matt’s vocal delivery and rhythm playing have taken on a new life and I know we’re both excited to hear what comes next!



"Don’t Question"

Matt Cluthe: Vocals/Lyrics, Rhythm/Lead Guitar, J Bass, Piano, Drum Loop
Chris Lee: Lead Guitar

Quickest song developed to date! Maybe a day? This by far is the very least I’ve ever played on any song we’ve done. One guitar track, pretty simple set of notes that accompany a gorgeous progression. Again a tremendous amount of satisfaction, doing more by playing less and playing what fits. I think this song is a great example of two musician’s having a no ego approach to writing/playing. A beautifully honest song that sees Matt take a radically different vocal approach than Not Listening. Showcases his smooth lead playing and sense of sonic accompaniment that make it sound like there are 3-4 of us instead of just 2. We continue to cut through new musical terrain each new song we post and lately I have no sense of what Matt will send next!

Thanks to everyone for your ears, your interest and support! Lots of love!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment